Home health care is care provided in a residence by authorized medical practitioners like nurses or physical therapists. Generally, these professionals are only allowed to perform the tasks as prescribed by the invalid’s physician. Unlike the doctor and hospital services which are insured, home care services in Canada are not publicly insured within the Canadian Health Act. Most home care services in this country are provided by municipal, territorial and provincial governments. Funding is provided by the federal government through the transfer of payments for both health and social services.
Services Offered by Canadian Home Health Care Professionals
Home care practitioners deliver services to individuals with minor health complications and injuries as well as those in need of intensive and complicated services and equipment. Some of the home care services include:
- Personal care services such as helping with dressing, feeding, and bathing
- Dietician services
- Homemaking services
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Speech therapy
- Short-term nursing
- Mobility training
- Wound care
- Pain management
- Respite services
Why you should choose home care services for your ailing loved one
Whenever possible, most patients always ask to be treated at their homes. Home health care provides cost-effective, culturally sensitive, patient-centered, high quality and extensive skilled services right in the comfort of your home. Care is offered by compassionate, skilled professionals who are sensitive to the patient’s cultural needs.
Why choose home care services?
- Home care is a proven way of offering safe and effective care, managing chronic conditions as well as reducing hospital readmissions.
- Home care helps with patient self-care education
- Helps monitor compliance with physician’s orders
- Helps keep families together, which is particularly critical in times of sickness. Hospitalization somehow reduces the ties of family responsibility!
- Postpones or prevents institutionalization especially when talking about seniors
- Home care is safe! Risks such as infections are minimized or eliminated when the patient is cared for at home.
- Promotes healing! Scientific studies show that patients heal faster when at home with their loved ones.
- Home care provides personalized services that are tailored to the unique needs of individual patients.
- It is less expensive compared to other kinds of care, especially the lengthy inpatient fossilization.
- The patient at home has freedom and can get engaged with his/her normal daily activities whenever their health permits.
Home health care is care given to patients at home. Patients enjoy being treated at home so that they can keep enjoying the sanctity of their residences and the delight of being with their loved ones. The information and resources at BrightStar Care can provide you with additional insights.